email at email@example.com
Friday, August 29, 2008
The Associated Press Keeps Up its War Against Barack Obama
by Jonathan Singer, Thu Aug 28, 2008 at 11:45:39 PM EST
The Associated Press decides to double down in its attacks on Barack Obama. Here's the headline from Charles Babington's "analysis" of Obama's speech tonight:
Analysis: Obama spares details, keeps up attacks
Amazingly, it actually gets worse, reading almost exactly like Republican talking points (and in fact parroting that exact spin).
Barack Obama, whose campaign theme is "change we can believe in," promised Thursday to "spell out exactly what that change would mean."
But instead of dwelling on specifics, he laced the crowning speech of his long campaign with the type of rhetorical flourishes that Republicans mock and the attacks on John McCain that Democrats cheer. The country saw a candidate confident in his existing campaign formula: tie McCain tightly to President Bush, and remind voters why they are unhappy with the incumbent.
It is not until after the lede that Babington admits that 35-minute speeches are rarely chock full of details -- particularly those that are enthralling to a crowd. (By the way, it is also below the lede that Babington admits that the Obama speech did actually include specifics.) But this admission misses a key point. Babington, and the Republicans pushing this line of spin to him, set up a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Obama -- either he delivers a compelling speech, which they deride as rhetoric, or he delivers an excessively policy-laden speech, prompting calls that he is too professorial.
What a true journalist would do would be to analyze the speech without using the crutch of opposition talking points, without resorting to the easiest "he said, she said" type of stenography. But apparently this is no longer the policy of the Associated Press under Washington Bureau Chief Ron Fournier -- a man, by the way, who spent months in talks with the McCain campaign about possibly accepting a senior level position. No, what we get out of Fournier's AP is pure and unadulterated talking points that are as non-germane as they are simply incorrect.
Update [2008-8-28 23:59:59 by Jonathan Singer]: Chris Cillizza shoots down the AP's nonesense...
"Obama's speech was more substance than style; more specifics than rhetorical flourish."
Update [2008-8-29 0:20:3 by Jonathan Singer]: The Boston Globe agrees with Cillizza: "Analysis: Obama gets specific, and tough"
It's time, then, once again to contact Fournier's boss, Kathleen Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 621-1500 to let her know that you do not want the AP to serve as a stenographer and amplifier for pure spin from the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee. You can also participate in the direct action by MoveOn or FireDogLake. Be POLITE, but be FIRM, and above all speak your mind.
Update [2008-8-29 0:7:14 by Jonathan Singer]: Oy vey. Really? More attacks on Obama from the Associated Press? How long can this organization countenance Fournier sullying its more than century and a half of good reputation?
Update [2008-8-29 0:20:3 by Jonathan Singer]: Wow, just wow. Babington apparently wrote his article before Obama was finished giving his speech.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
"he's taken over a million dollars in contributions from the oil and gas industry..wooooooowww..now he wants to give those same oil and gas companies 4 billion in tax breaks... thats a lot of change..but its not the change we need"
GOOD! WELL DONE!
But the main dishes for tonight are still to come... Mark Warner and Hillary Clinton...
"We can't afford more of the same votes..."
its just the same selfishness we saw during the primaries resurfacing.... i mean once hillary got blown out in washington state, maine, dc, virginia, maryland and wisconsin she simply could not win.. and yet they went on and on and on and on..
i'm glad i'm not in your office.
On 8/26/08, XXXXXXXXX wrote:We've got a very disgruntled Hilary supporter here in our office. I just overheard some very specific Obama (Michelle and Barak) criticisms.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
great time tonight at wolftrap...bo "american idol" bice, denny laine (wings), christoper cross ("sailing", "theme from arthur"), lou gramm (mr. foreigner!), and of course todd rundgren played a hell of a show for us!
Saturday, August 23, 2008
1. Hillary: clearly there is bad blood and there was no way he was going to pick her.
2. Senator Bayh from Indiana: very boring.. had nothing really going for him...I believe he was the runner up and was very close to being selected.
3. Richardson: A black/brown ticket? I don't think so.
4. Governor Sebelius (woman) from Kansas: I just don't see what she added but Obama really gets along with her.. Still a ticket with a black and a woman who is not Hillary would have been pushing it.
5. Governor Kaine from Virginia: he was only just elected Governor.. too inexperienced..Obama probably wished he could have selected him because he really likes him on a personal level..
6. Senator Jim Webb from Virginia.... For whatever reason Obama did not want him.. he just was elected to the Senate so not too experienced but at least he is a vietnam vet and served in the Reagan administration
7. Warner (former Governor of Virginia)..this was a good choice but Warner ruled himself out to run for the Senate.. and Warner has no foreign policy/defense background..he would have given Obama Virginia..no small fact..
8. General Wesley Clark..this was the one I thought was a good choice but Clark was a strong Hillary supporter and I think there was no rapport...
So basically there was no perfect VP choice.. there was something wrong with everyone! Given the obsession of the military industrial complex/establishment picking Biden sends a signal that Obama is not going to rock the boat... ANd given Obama has only been in the Senate a few years and is an unproven entity I guess thats what he had to do... If Obama had been up 10 points in the polls he could have picked Donald Duck but thats not what has been going on... This week we saw the first polls showing McCain ahead... I think that forced his hand. The upside is Joe Biden has the credibility, gravitas etc to take on McCain on foreign policy... For example Biden visited Georgia (the country not the state!) earlier this week. Biden is not a choice that is going to excite anyone but I think Obama doesn't really need any more excitement.. He basically needed one of the old boys club charter members.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Highly enjoyable Thorogood show last night at the best outdoor venue in the country Wolftrap. Very good sound...he finished it off with Chuck Berry's Back in the USA which being the Berry nut I am i absolutely went bonkers over...Thorogood seemed thrilled to be playing Wolftrap and made reference to "..hope we can make this an annual thing.." or some such..From your words to God's ears Lonesome George! Having never seen Thorogood I was particularly thrilled they have a sax player..really gives it that vintage good old time rock and roll feeling....
Monday, August 11, 2008
Let us also acknowledge that the surge in Iraq has had important costs! Those additional troops are in Iraq and they are not ready to be deployed to Georgia.
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Friday, August 08, 2008
Monday, August 04, 2008
Now I realize what song it was! It was Delaney and Bonnie's Never Ending Song of Love from 1971's Motel SHot which is a killer album.. I think I've written about that album on this very blog.. particularly striking on that album besides the great guests which include Gram Parsons, is that they perform the Grateful Dead's upbeat arrangement of Goin Down the Road Feelin Bad BUT here's the kicker: they taught that arrangement to the dead.. ANyways the Black Crowes last night covered this song and it sounded really good...
03 August 2008 - Wolf Trap - Vienna, VA [ USA ]
|S E T L I S T »|
- Liz Phair live video 930 club washington dc August...
- What is up at the AP???!:!:!:!::!?!?!?!?
- Liz Phair live video 930 Club Washington DC August...
- Liz Phair Exile in Guyville Tour August 8 28 2008 ...
- Liz Phair Exile in Guyville Tour August 8 2008 930...
- Cheap Trick August 8 27 2008 live video snippet Dr...
- Heart live video Nissan Pavilion Bristow Virginia ...
- Journey Set List Bristow Virginia Nissan Pavilion ...
- Journey Nissan Pavilion Bristow Virginia August 8-...
- hillary clinton at dnc
- hillary clinton: "Where you in it for.."
- its hillary clinton!
- brian schweitzer
- Brian Schweitzer..live blogging DNC
- Deval Patrick
- ted strickland up
- good mark warner line
- Its all about Scranton Pennsylvania
- Live blogging DNC
- more liveblogging from DNC
- live blogging DNC
- The undying idiocy of Hillary Clinton and her supp...
- Todd Rundgren Bang the Drum live video snippet Aug...
- Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band Wolftrap with ...
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Wolftrap Vien...
- Billy Idol- Pier Six Pavilion Baltimore August 22,...
- It is Joe Biden
- Billy Idol Pier Six Pavilion Baltimore 8-22-08 pic...
- Billy Idol Pier Six Paviion Baltimore 8-22-08 pict...
- Barack Obama tells it like it is...
- Eddie Vedder concert review 8-16-08 Warner Theatre...
- Eddie Vedder concert live video Warner Theatre Was...
- Don't tear down Yankee Stadium!
- Buddy Guy pictures Wolftrap Vienna Virginia 8-13-0...
- George Thorogood Pictures 8-13-08 Wolftrap Vienna ...
- George Thorogood Wolftrap Vienna Virginia 8-13-08 ...
- John McCain: Experienced Bullshit Artist
- US opened up pandora's box by invading Iraq
- Re: John Edwards Love Child??
- Heaven and Hell at Nissan Pavilion 8-7-08 Live Vid...
- Motorhead Ace of Spades Live Video Masters of Meta...
- Motorhead live at the Masters of Metal Nissan Pavi...
- The Black Crowes Wolftrap August 3 2008 Never Endi...
- Black Crowes August 3 2008 Set List
- Loretta Lynn Warrenton Fair August 2 2008 Front Ro...
- Black Crowes Wolftrap August 3 2008 pictures
- ▼ August (52)
- ► 2006 (78)
- ► 2005 (502)