email at 47west63rd@gmail.com

Monday, December 12, 2005


Miles Davis in Person Friday Night at the Blackhawk, San Francisco Vol. 1 CL 1669.... this is a great LP cover.. unfortunately Miles had enlisted Hank Mobley for his Quintet which was in transition at this time (1961 I believe).... Anyways Miles it is my belief just did not appreciate Hank or give him the opportunity to play his type of jazz.. instead he wanted Mobley to do his type of jazz. ..fair enough when you're Miles Davis but I don't think Hank excelled in this envinronment....From Miles autobiography its pretty clear Miles did not dig Mobley.. Mobley around this time recorded some of my favorite records including Soul Station which I think blows Miles' contemporanous output away: Take that Miles!

No comments:

Blog Archive