was Serbia ranked 47 by FIFA if they only allowed 1 goal in 10 qualifying games??!?!?!
perhaps i underestimated them! the group all of a sudden seems tougher... a draw against serbia will not do for argentina
and its official: we are in the toughest group.. if the AP says it its got to be true (not!)
Argentina and Netherlands clash in toughest group
December 9, 2005
LEIPZIG, Germany (AFP) - Two-time champions Argentina and the Netherlands will clash in Group C at the World Cup with Cote d'Ivoire and the dangerous Serbia and Montenegro making the section one of the toughest.
Argentina, winners in 1978 and 1986, are second favourites behind Brazil but they won't thank the organisers for the draw made here on Friday.
The Argentines, coached by Jose Pekerman, have beaten the Dutch just once in five meetings but it was a satisfying result coming in the final of the 1978 tournament on home soil.
The Dutch, unseeded, were the team that everyone wanted to avoid but neutrals will look forward to the pair's June 21 clash in Frankfurt.
Coached by Marco van Basten, the Dutch have twice been runners-up in 1974 and 1978, and can call upon the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arjen Robben, Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart.
Argentina too are blessed with talent throughout the squad, Hernan Crespo will be expected to supply the goals, Lionel Messi and Juan Roman Riquelme, the inspiration.
Cote D'Ivoire are first-time finalists and can boast Chelsea striker Didier Drogba while Serbia and Montenegro include star names Atletico Madrid's Mateja Kezman, Dejan Stankovic of Inter Milan, and experienced Osasuna forward Savo Milosevic.
But it's the defence which is hard to crack. Goalkeeper Dragoslav Jevric and captain Mladen Krstajic allowed just one goal to pass them in their 10 qualifying matches.
World Cup records
- World Cup appearances: 13 (1930, 1934, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002)
- World Cup winners: 2 (1978, 1986); Runners-up 2 (1930, 1990)
FIFA world ranking: 4
- World Cup appearances: 0
- African Nations Cup winners: 1 (1992)
FIFA world ranking: 41
SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO
- World Cup appearances: 7 (1930, 1950, 1958, 1962, 1974, 1990, 1998)
- World Cup best: Semi-finals (1930)
FIFA world ranking: 47
- World Cup appearances: 7 (1934, 1938, 1974, 1978, 1990, 1994, 1998)
- World Cup best: Runners-up (1974, 1978)
FIFA world ranking: 3
email at email@example.com
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2006 (78)
- music listening in 2005 & beyond...
- Elvis Costello interview
- John Kerry calls it like it is..
- This Year's Model
- I think worth thinking about...(press release post...
- My letter to DC Councilmember Jack Evans
- Voila! this is the original Xavier Cugat "Ole!" L...
- the Columbia black label present on issues GL 500...
- Evo Morales. The 10,000 peso question: will he abl...
- Bolivia's native indians have put one of their own...
- Evo Morales triumphs in Bolivia elections!
- lawbreaker flaunts it!
- 2005? Good riddance!!!!!!!!
- Sometimes it is trying to be an American
- Boca Juniors are once again where they should be: ...
- and the band fritters on...
- Miles Davis in Person Friday Night at the Blackhaw...
- the original Columbia label precedes the maroon wh...
- This is an interesting lp to me because it is one ...
- this may be one of the best David Stone Martin LP ...
- David Stone Martin drew about 400 LP covers mainy ...
- Heidi Klum perhaps the highlight of the draw for A...
- excuse the poor picture quality but the point is m...
- Former Argentina coach Bilardo speaks:
- Analysis of World Cup draw from Argentina's coachi...
- Opponent#3- Holland
- Opponent #1- Ivory Coast
- Opponent #2 Serbia Montenegro
- how did ivory coast , serbia and holland qualify?
- HOW IN GODS NAME!
- corrections galore!
- one more thing
- World Cup Draw breakdown
- formatting issue solved
- world cup related web site
- whats gone wrong with the formatting here?
- Now Playing: Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas LP on ...
- Sven-Goran Eriksson feels the exact same as I do!
- Torture and Terror(ism)
- Recent history of Argentina's world cup draws
- Argentina's 2006 World Cup Draw?
- World Cup Draw coming up! Pots have been set
- Two tickets to paradise, I thought (continued fro...
- Last night's gig: TOSCA! mixed feelings on this.. ...
- This LP, "The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster",...
- let the Verve empire begin... this is Stan Getz's ...
- momentous record collecting decision!
- Argentina's Obelisco Monument in Buenos Aires obse...
- ▼ December (48)