email at 47west63rd@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Joaquin Sabina's "La Cancion Mas Hermosa del Mundo" ("The World's Most Beautiful Song")

From 2002's "Dimelo en la Calle"..this song is simply majestic..i wish i could translate it but we're talking serious poetry here...still i will translate a few lines here and there where i can.....to compound matters the song is rather stream of consciousness and alliterative.. however, it lives up to its title..


La canción más hermosa del mundo
The most beautiful song in the world


Yo tenía un botón sin ojal, un gusano de seda,
I had a button without a buttonhole, a silkworm

medio par de zapatos de clown y un alma en almoneda,
half a pair of clown shoes, a soul in for sale

una hispano olivetti con caries, un tren con retraso,
a spanish olivetti (typewriter?) with decay, a train with delay

un carné del Atletic, una cara de culo de vaso,
u members ID card for Atletico de Madrid (Spanish soccer club), a cup ass face


un colegio de pago, un compás, una mesa camilla,
a private school, a compass, a stretcher table

una nuez, o bocado de Adán, menos una costilla,
a nut, a mouthful of Adam, minus a rib,

una bici diabética, un cúmulo, un cirro, un strato,
a diabetic "bici" , , a cirrhosis,

un camello del rey Baltasar, una gata sin gato,
a camel of King Bathazar, a female cat without a male cat

mi Annie Hall, mi Gioconda, mi Wendy, las damas primero,
my Annie Hall, my Gioconda, my Wendy, the ladies first,

mi Cantinflas, mi Bola de Nieve, mis tres Mosqueteros,
my Cantinflas, my Bola de Nieva, my three Musketeers,

mi Tintín, mi yo-yo, mi azulete, mi siete de copas,
my Tintin, my yo-yo, , my seven of clubs

el zaguán donde te desnudé sin quitarte la ropa.
the entryway where i undressed you without removing your clothes


Mi escondite, mi clave de sol, mi reloj de pulsera,
my hideout, my key of sun, my wrist watch

una lámpara de Alí Babá dentro de una chistera,
ali baba's lamp inside a top hat (?),

no sabía que la primavera duraba un segundo,
i didn't know spring lasted a second,

yo quería escribir la canción más hermosa del mundo.
i wanted to write the most beautiful song in the world.

Les presento a mi abuelo bastardo, a mi esposa soltera,
i present you my bastard grandfather, my single wife,

al padrino que me apadrinó en la legión extranjera,
the godfather who godfathered me in the foreign legion,

a mi hermano gemelo, patrón de la merca ambulante,
to my twin brother, boss of the peddled dope,

a Simbad el marino que tuvo un sobrino cantante,
to Sinbad the mariner who had a singing nephew,

al putón de mi prima Carlota y su perro salchicha,
to the whore of my cousin Carlotta and her dachshund dog,

a mi chupa de cota de mallas contra la desdicha,
to my coat of chain mail absorbing misfortune,

mariposas que cazan en sueños los niños con granos
butterflies that hunt pimpled children in dreams

cuando sueñan que abrazan a Venus de Milo sin manos.
when they dream they embrace Venus de Milo without hands.

Me libré de los tontos por ciento, del cuento del bisnes,
I freed myself of the fools of hundred, of the fairy tale of business,

dando clases en una academia de cantos de cisne,
giving classes in an academy of songs of powder puffs,

con Simón de Cirene hice un tour por el monte Calvario,
with Simon of Cirene i did a tour through the Mount Calvary,

¿qué harías tú si Adelita se fuera con un comisario?
what would you do if Adelita left with a police captain?

Frente al cabo de poca esperanza arrié mi bandera,
In front of the cape of little hope i lowered my flag,

si me pierdo de vista esperadme en la lista de espera,
if i get lost from your sight wait for me in the waiting list,

heredé una botella de ron de un clochard moribundo,
i inherited a bottle of rum from a moribund tramp,

olvidé la lección a la vuelta de un coma profundo.
i forgot the lesson on my return from a deep coma,

Nunca pude cantar de un tirón
i could never sing all at one time

la canción de las babas del mar, del relámpago en vena,
the song of the sea's foam, of lightning inspiration

de las lágrimas para llorar cuando valga la pena,
of the tears to be cried when its worth it,

de la página encinta en el vientre de un bloc trotamundos,
of the pregnant page in the womb of a globetrotting writing pad,

de la gota de tinta en el himno de los iracundos.
of the drop of ink in the hymn of the irate,

Yo quería escribir la canción más hermosa del mundo.
I wanted to write the most beautiful song in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you , a lot, From deep inside of my heart.

Blog Archive