email at 47west63rd@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Joaquin Sabina's "Con Dos Camas Vacias" ("With Two Empty Beds")

and here is a song Sabina adapted for Maria Jimenez who sings it on her record "Donde Mas Duele Maria Jimenez Canta Por Sabina" or "Where it hurts most Maria Jimenez Sings for Sabina"...this record came out in 2002 and is pretty darn cool... its flamenco versions of some great sabina tunes.. my understanding is sabina wrote "con dos camas vacias" specifically for this project..Sabina even sings a verse on this.. i've included the spanish lyrics first and then my translation..


Con Dos Camas Vacias

Ni yo bordo pañuelos, ni tu rompes contratos.
Ni yo mato por celos, ni tu mueres por mi.
Y antes de que me quieras como se quiere a un gato
me largo con cualquiera que se parezca a ti.
De par en par te abro las puertas que cierras.
Me cuentan que el olvido no te sienta tan mal.
La paz que has elegido es pero que mi guerra, lo que pudo haber sido, lo que nunca será.
*ESTRIBILLO 1
Yo en cambio nunca supe ir a favor del viento, que muerde las esquinas de esta ciudad limpía.
Pobre aprendiz de brujo que escupe el firmamento, desde un hotel de lujo, con dos, con dos camas vacías.
*ESTRIBILLO 2
¿Y quién hará tu trabajo debajo de mi falda?, la boca que era mia ¿de qué boca será?, el roto de tu ombligo ya no me da la espalda cuando pierdo contigo las ganas de ganar.
*ESTRIBILLO 3
Como pago al contado, nunca me falta un beso.
Siempre que me confieso me doy la absolución.
Ya no cierro los bares ni hago tantos excesos, cada beso más triste, las canciones de amor.

ESTRIBILLO 1
CANTA SABINA:
Aunque nunca me callo, guardo un par de secretos, lo digo de hombre a hombre, de mujer a mujer.
Ni me caso con nadie, ni le pongo amuletos,por no tener no tengo ni edad de merecer.

ESTRIBILLO 2
Maldita sea la tinta que empapa mis papeles, maldita la tercera persona del plural, las uñas que se clavan ahí donde más duele, si se te corre el rimel cuando me haces llorar.
ESTRIBILLO 3


Con Dos Camas Vacias
With two empty beds

Now I don’t knit handkerchiefs, nor do you break contracts
Nor do i kill from jealousy, nor do you die for me

And before you love me like one loves a cat
I leave with anyone that looks like you

From time to time I open the doors you close
They tell me forgetting doesn’t suit you so bad

The peace you’ve chosen is worse than my war
What could have been..what will never be

I in turn never knew how to go with the wind
That bites the street corners of this impious town

Poor witches intern who spits at the heavens
From a luxury hotel with two empty beds

Who will do your work underneath my skirt?
The mouth that was mine who’s mouth will it be?

The break in your navel no longer turns its back on me
When I lose with you the desire to win

Since I pay cash I never lack a kiss
Whenever I confess myself I grant myself absolution

I no longer close down the bars or commit as many excesses
The love songs are sadder every time

I in turn never knew how to go with the wind
That bites the street corners of this impious town

Poor witches intern who spits at the heavens
From a luxury hotel with two empty beds

(Sabina Sings This Verse)
Although I never shut up I conceal a few secrets
I say it man to man woman to woman

I don’t marry anyone nor charm myself
Because I don’t have I don’t even have the age to deserve it


Who will do your work underneath my skirt
The mouth that was mine who’s mouth will it be

The break in your navel no longer turns its back on me
When I lose with you the desire to win

Damn the ink that soaks my paper
Damn the third person plural

The fingernails that nail there where it most hurts
If my mascara runs when you make me cry

Since I pay cash I never lack a kiss
Whenever I confess myself I grant myself absolution

I no longer close down the bars or commit as many excesses
The love songs are sadder every time

No comments:

Blog Archive