email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Nina Simone- Sings the Blues
I suppose Nina Simone's career can largely be divided into four periods based on the record labels she was working with: 1) Colpix Records, 2) Phillips, 3) RCA, and 4) retirement... This album catches Nina Simone as she's ending phase 2 and I believe is her first record on RCA..a lot of her Phillips recordings I think featured her with big orchestral productions/awash in strings etc while her RCA recordings it seems to me feature her performing- generally- a larger share of more contemporary material (i.e., Bob Dylan) with smaller jazz combos.. "Nina Simone Sings the Blues" on RCA LSP-3789 from 1967 (german LP issue) surrounds her with some of the more talented session musicians of the day: Eric Gale (guitar), Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (drums), etc. and the material be it Nina Simone songs or standards is top notch with Nina Simone's presentation as uncompromising and true to the bone as always... whet.One of the things about Nina is that when she sings you really believe her whether its political or sexual and I think while she's always been hard to pigeonhole and categorize she may just be the last of that great line of singers that began with Bessie Smith and went through Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington..."Nina Simone Sings the Blues" features "Buck" and "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl" which are both favorites of mine..On this LP you can really hear Nina's fine piano work...$1
Posted by Record digger at 11:03 PM
- Dean Martin- Everybody Loves Somebody & Dean Marti...
- Frank Sinatra- Swing Easy and Songs for Young Love...
- Solid State Presenting Thad Jones Mel Lewis &"The ...
- Mary Wells- Greatest Hits
- Don Ellis- Music From Other Galaxies and Planets
- The Gil Evans Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi He...
- Jamiroquai- Cosmic Girl Promo 12" inch single
- Mott the Hoople debut album Atlantic SD 8258 test ...
- Nina Simone- Sings the Blues
- Stan Getz at Large
- Pink Moon LP labels/inner gatefold/full cover gate...
- Nick Drake - Pink Moon
- Dizzy Gillespie Plays
- Afrique- Soul Makossa
- King Cole Trio - Volume 4
- Hank Crawford- Soul of the Ballad
- Willie Nelson- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Johnny Mathis - Warm
- The Wondeful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim
- MECO: Star Wars and other Galactic Funk
- Record purchases
- ▼ January (21)
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2006 (78)
- ► 2005 (502)