email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Dizzy Gillespie Plays
Here's some classic jazz on a 10 " LP from 1956 on the Allegro Elite label Long Play 4108.. Allegro looks like some sort of shoddy poor quality bootleg company or something but upon further inspection I see "Record Corp. of America, Union City, N.J." on the back which I think means it must have been some sort of RCA subsidiary releasing poor quality cheap LPs for people that wouldn't buy the more expensive regular issues... The price printed on the back jacket is $1.98... The thing about this LP is I have not yet been able to identify where the songs come from..they have varying sound quality and don't seem to all be from the same session...The packaging on the Allegro covers/jackets is pretty flimsy - this isn't the first one I've run across- and the LP itself seems kind of thin. I notice Allegro- from the catalog listed on the back which takes up the entire back cover..all you get here is pretty much the music and don't expect any explanation of who the musicians are etc....- seemed to have released mainly classical music pieces along with these interesting issues: 4007 Mildred Bailey Sings, 4016 Jimmy Lunceford Plays, 4027 Leadbelly's Sinful Songs, 4031 Teddy Wilson and his All Star Sextet, 4040 Mildred Bailey Sings, 4050 Slim Gaillard Plays, 4101 Kay Starr, 4106 Sarah Vaughan Sings, 4117 Mel Torme Sings....The songs on this Dizzy 10 incher include some classics or songs I've seen and heard before such as Groovin High, Dizzy Atmosphere, He Beeped When He Shoulda Bopped (one of those typical funny Dizzy songs about bop), and One Bass Hit...$1
Posted by Record digger at 12:26 PM
- Dean Martin- Everybody Loves Somebody & Dean Marti...
- Frank Sinatra- Swing Easy and Songs for Young Love...
- Solid State Presenting Thad Jones Mel Lewis &"The ...
- Mary Wells- Greatest Hits
- Don Ellis- Music From Other Galaxies and Planets
- The Gil Evans Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi He...
- Jamiroquai- Cosmic Girl Promo 12" inch single
- Mott the Hoople debut album Atlantic SD 8258 test ...
- Nina Simone- Sings the Blues
- Stan Getz at Large
- Pink Moon LP labels/inner gatefold/full cover gate...
- Nick Drake - Pink Moon
- Dizzy Gillespie Plays
- Afrique- Soul Makossa
- King Cole Trio - Volume 4
- Hank Crawford- Soul of the Ballad
- Willie Nelson- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Johnny Mathis - Warm
- The Wondeful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim
- MECO: Star Wars and other Galactic Funk
- Record purchases
- ▼ January (21)
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2006 (78)
- ► 2005 (502)