yesterday we went to see the film "Being Julia" starring Annette Benning and based on (heavily) the William Somerset Maugham novel "Theatre" from the 1930s. Annette Benning is magnificent as Julia. She really gets to the core of the character. More importantly to me perhaps is how Somerset Maugham's novel is well adapted to the big screen. "Willie's" image has been tarnished these past two or three decades... Much like Graham Greene he is an increasingly marginalized author..Its a great time to discover timeless books such as "Theatre" (which i belief was out of print until three years ago!) or "Cakes and Ale."
email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2006 (78)
- ► 2005 (502)
- Is it just me or does Bush look like a cowboy? is ...
- Belated congratulations to DC's one true champion....
- Stand Up! (get it?)
- Spin the Black Circle!
- Roxy Music's "Country Life" LP (1974)
- election wrapup (Part I)
- Its the health, stupid!
- Picture taken this weekend (by Bilal Hussein for...
- if the shoe fits..
- recommended movie!
- I am away on a mediation retreat. The blog is ther...
- Michael Moore's last letter before election
- electoral prediction correction..
- Gore Vidal speaks...
- ▼ November (15)