email at 47west63rd@gmail.com

Saturday, September 27, 2008

A great man has passed on.

It is obviously true that Paul Newman was one of the great actors in the history of film. He gave me great pleasure on the screen. For some reason (maybe my parents?) I grew up watching his movies from Butch Cassidy to The Sting. As I got older I saw some other movies which confirmed to me his greatness: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Long Hot Summer, etc... Just wondrous performances...

But what I think of today upon learning of his passing is that Paul Newman over and beyond everything else was a great human being. He is truly missed. His work on behalf of the downtrodden and the poor- and not his remarkable films- is his great legacy and it will continue because he made sure it would. My condolences to his loved ones on this sad day.

I am truly moved by the passing of "Blue Eyes". The world- at least to me- feels a little empty today and I am deeply saddened. He was a great American in every sense of the word.

No comments:

Blog Archive