The 33-year wait for a baseball team is coming to an end as Major League Baseball will announce later today that it is moving the Montreal Expos to DC. In order to placate Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos MLB is taking the unusual step of guaranteeing Angelos a revenues floor.
Meanwhile the Washington DC City Council has told MLB it will approve a $440 million publicly funded stadium for the new team. The financing will supposedly be covered by business taxes on baseball related goods and services (unclear wether this will include the unprecedented move to tax player salaries).
Lauded Expos General Manager Minaya is moving to take the GM position of the New York Mets so the Expos will begin anew in DC.
MLB will sell the new DC team to a private investor in the coming weeks.
My cursory look at the current Expos roster saw two big names: Jose Vidro at second base and Livan Hernandez on the mound. The Expos are currently in last place in the NL East where the new DC team will play. The other NL East teams will be our (and does it not feel nice to say that) main rivals:
Atlanta W 93 L 65
Philadelphia W 81 L 75
Florida W 81 L 76
New York Mets W 70 L 88
Montreal Expos W 65 L 93
email at email@example.com
Wednesday, September 29, 2004
- ► 2008 (212)
- ► 2006 (78)
- ► 2005 (502)
- Let the bubbly flow! Washington DC has a baseball ...
- GO to your record store and pick this up!
- GO!!!!!!!!! Blue Note lp 4112
- Montreal Expos moving to Washington DC
- Look its baseball!
- Something is happening here, but you don't know wh...
- The future of Latin America? Venezuelan President ...
- Midgets wrestling...
- The publication of Bob Dylan's new memoirs have la...
- Step Across This Line Susana Magnacca!!!!!!!!!
- New US citizen Susana Mercedes Magnacca (aka Susie...
- Musical Luminaries LUNA Announce Split!
- Luna poster (inverted color) from their show Aug...
- Links- Live Music Venues for Washington DC Area
- Visions Cinema and Bar Noir in Dupont Circle Washi...
- The Boss speaks...
- political button 2004 election
- is it really so strange that Kerry windsurfs while...
- Future Nobel Prize for Literature Winner?
- Baseball: ICHIRO!
- Glaciar Perito Moreno, Patagonia, Argentina, Jul...
- All Star Blue Note Lineup!
- Cat Stevens & 6-year old daughter foiled in attemp...
- Can it be that Washington D.C. is about to get a b...
- this is funny HA HA- Latest George Bushism
- Breaking News: 47west63rd ENDORSES JOHN KERRY FOR ...
- Blakey and Monk
- The original deep groove black label of Art Blak...
- Current Listening
- Thelonious Monk LP Cover
- Native American Indians
- ▼ September (31)